Amusing Alpha Accounts

Last Night

People are funny. And they only continue to get weirder and weirder. Now that you can play for free and essentially pay your way into almost any ship, without actually putting any time in - things are only getting weirder. Someone on Discord the other day pointed out the killboard of a young player who is 0-97 and all of the losses are what even a hardened vet would consider significant ships. Like a Rorqual pilot warping to a HS gate and then losing another Rorqual later the same day.

Unlike most people who are screaming "Eve is Dying" over on r/eve or somewhere, I personally find these people amusing and I wish we had more of them. Send more paramedics! (You may not get that reference) Look, let's be honest here. Eve is not for everyone in its current iteration. Lots of these people popping in and spending cash on get quick schemes are going to fail out. But a few will stick. Hopefully the churn will keep the wheels spinning. And in the meantime, they sure are a blast to run into in local.

Beyond killmails, these new players have added to the local flavor. While new players typically don't have a good grasp on Eve's history, some of these Alpha's take that idea to new heights. I've honestly never run into a player-stranger that didn't want to know anything before. I often offer advice or counseling to fellow pilots after a fight, the typical response is either cold silence or thoughtful banter. Lately though a new level of weird and completely unearned arrogance has appeared. A couple weeks ago I had a player with about 200 kills to his name berate me in local. And while that is certainly amusing, I also find it a bit troublesome. Yes, that used to happen, it isn't anything new. It is simply the frequency that seems to have changed.

Which isn't the same as people trying really hard to smack talk me in local. Sometimes when I'm bored I will play along with these attempts for my own amusement. But the quality has dropped a lot lately. Again, it has become more tiresome than amusing. Although I still find it funny when some random stranger thinks he is God's gift to smack talk. Seriously dude, you are the 147th person to use that line. And no my Corp of 319 Pirates is not intimidated by you or the three other pilots in your little Corporation.  Sorry.

News flash - you are not going to be able to smack talk me. It doesn't work. The Mittani has tried. Grath has tried. And pretty much every other asshole in Eve over the last decade has tried. You are not going to be better at it than they are.

Another amusing use for Alphas is the obvious Alt accounts. Last week we had a random player-stranger show up in local and start smack talking. That isn't unusual. Thing is, the longer they talked the more specific the smack got. Eventually it was obvious which former Corp pilot they were. The proof was when I called them out... the smack stopped and they left local.

Bless the Alphas and keep them. I want more people to play Eve and stick around. Eve is much better in the long haul and I'd like to see it stick around for many more years. Mostly so we can keep killing Rorquals and Faction fit Proteus'.

Eve is FREE to Play!!